Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Neptune and Mermaid Tote Bag

Nancy over at Free Spirit graciously asked me to make something with their newest fabric designer's line "Neptune and Mermaid" by Toyko Milk. There's so much I'd love to make with it (because it's just that versatile), but I started off with this fun in the sun, Beach Tote bag. My daughter's love it so much, they each want one, which shouldn't be a problem since there are so many possibilities with all the beautiful prints.
This tote bag has 4 large pockets, one on each side and one in the front as well as the back. I used some Soft and Stable from ByAnnie to keep it from flopping over in the sand (because no one wants sand in their bag). I also decided this fushia glitter vinyl I purchased from SewSweetness was the perfect match for the flowers in this "Lost Atlantis - Aqua" print and perfect for keeping the water out of the bottom of my bag. Salt water and sunshine are the two worst things for vibrant fabrics - so I'll be sure to keep it dry and behind my beach chair during future outings.

I kept the FMquilting simple by following the organic movement of the fish, flowers, and mermaids to accentuate them a little more. I accidentally sewed the straps onto the bag across from each other, and had to quickly correct that, so when you are making a bag of any kind...don't pull a Kerry on your straps! lol. And PSA: don't use a thin needle like I did with your vinyl! Sara told me I should have used a denim or leather weight needle and would likely not have broken two needles...if they were thicker.
I'm currently debating which prints to use for the next tote bag but think I'm sticking with these. I love the bathing suits in the Song of the Siren/ What Would Poseidon Say? prints and love the aqua with the lime green colorings. Of course I also still love those pops of pink flowers too.

I'm so excited summer is coming right around the corner and excited to bring my new beach tote with me for a day of relaxing! Thank you to Free Spirit for allowing me to work with these gorgeous fabrics and to ByAnnie for providing me with Soft and Stable whenever I need it!

I appreciate you for stopping by and reading up on all my goings on. Please be sure to sign up for my emails to get info about new patterns, new Sizzix dies, future sales or coupons and other fun stuff.



http://kidgiddy.us2.list-manage1.com/subscribe?u=9ea4c419178a2e61b529af8aa&id=975aef860e

1 comments :

Unknown said... [Reply]

This is really beautiful.

Post a Comment